Module 1: Authenticating and Authorizing Users
This module covers SQL Server security models, logins, and users
- Authenticating connections to SQL Server
- Authorizing logins to access databases
- Authorization across servers
- Partially contained databases
Module 2: Assigning Server and Database Roles
This module covers fixed server roles, user-defined server roles, fixed database roles, and user-defined database roles.
- Working with server roles
- Working with Fixed database roles
- Creating user-defined database roles
Module 3: Authorizing Users to Access Resources
This module covers permissions and the assignment of permissions.
- Authorizing user access to objects
- Authorizing users to execute code
- Configuring permissions at the schema level
Module 4: Protecting Data with Encryption and Auditing
This module covers SQL Server Audit.
- Options for auditing data access in SQL Server
- Implementing SQL Server audit
- Managing SQL Server audit
- Protecting data with encryption
Module 5: SQL Server Recovery Models
This module describes the concept of the transaction log and SQL Server recovery models. It also introduces the different backup strategies available with SQL Server.
- Backup strategies
- Understanding SQL Server transaction login
- Planning a SQL Server backup strategy
Module 6: Backup of SQL Server Databases
This module describes SQL Server Backup and the backup types
- Backing up databases and transaction logs
- Managing database backups
- Working with backup options
Module 7: Restoring SQL Server Databases
This module describes the restoration of databases.Lessons
- Understanding the restore process
- Restoring databases
- Working with point-in-time recovery
- Restoring system databases and individual files
Module 8: Automating SQL Server Management
This module describes how to use SQL Server Agent for automation. It also explains the benefits of using master and target servers to centralize the administration of automation.
- Automating SQL Server management
- Working with SQL Server agent
- Managing SQL Server agent jobs
- Multi-server management
Module 9: Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
This module describes the considerations for SQL Server Agent security, including proxy accounts and credentials.
- Understanding SQL Server Agent Security
- Configuring credentials
- Configuring proxy accounts
Module 10: Monitoring SQL Server with Alerts and Notifications
This module covers the configuration of database mail, alerts and notifications.
- Configuration of database mail
- Monitoring SQL Server errors
- Configuring operators, alerts, and notifications
- Alerts in Azure SQL database
Module 11: Introduction to Managing SQL Server by using PowerShell
This module introduces PowerShell for SQL Server.
- Configure SQL Server using PowerShell
- Administer SQL Server using PowerShell
- Maintain the SQL Server environment using PowerShell
- Managing Azure SQL Server databases using PowerShell
Module 12: Tracing Access to SQL Server
This module describes how to use SQL Profiler and SQL Trace stored procedures to capture information about SQL Server. The module also describes how to use Distributed Replay to capture trace information from multiple servers, and how to monitor locking.
- Capturing activity using SQL Server profiler
- Improving performance with the database engine tuning advisor
- Working with tracing options
- Distributed replay
- Monitoring locks
Module 13: Monitoring SQL Server
This module explains how to use Distributed Management Views to monitor SQL Server. It also describes configuration of data collection and the SQL Server Utility.
- Monitoring activity
- Capturing and managing performance data
- Analyzing collected performance data
- SQL Server utility
Module 14: Troubleshooting SQL Server
This module explains the SQL Server troubleshooting methodology and discusses the most common issues that can arise when working with SQL Server systems.
- SQL Server troubleshooting methodology
- Resolving service related issues
- Resolving login and connectivity issues
- Troubleshooting common issues
Module 15: Importing and Exporting Data
This module covers the use of the import/export wizards and explains how they relate to SSIS. The module also introduces BCP and BULK INSERT.
- Transferring data to/from SQL Server
- Importing and exporting table data
- Using BCP and BULK INSERT to import data
- Deploying and upgrading data-tier applications